Washington Square Arch
New York, NY
In early 2002 DGA commenced work on a two-year $2.7 million effort to repair, refurbish and restore NYC's historic Washington Square Arch. Originally dedicated in 1895 and designed by McKim Mead and White, the arch over the years had suffered from severe deterioration due to environmental weathering, roosting wild life, vandalism and water infiltration. The restoration effort included cleaning the stone, repairs to the statues of Washington and the first-ever attempt at a comprehensive exterior lighting program. DGA's efforts included research, exploration of various lighting options and the execution of a lighting strategy that included the use of both pole- and grade-mounted metal halide sources augmented by continuous T5H0 fluorescent sources at each of the cornices. The result is a brilliant terminus to Fifth Avenue's visual corridor and a bright new aspect for one of NYC's most prominent landmarks.
2004 GE Edison Lighting Award of Excellence
2004 NY Construction Award of Merit
2003 Lucy B. Moses Preservation Award