New York, NY
In early 2002 DGA commenced work on a two-year $2.7 million effort (completed April 2004) to repair, refurbish and restore NYC’s historic Washington Square Arch. Originally dedicated in 1895 and designed by McKim Mead and White, the arch had over the years suffered from severe deterioration due to environmental weathering, roosting wild life, vandalism and water infiltration. The restoration effort included the first- ever attempt at a comprehensive exterior lighting program. The result is a brilliant terminus to Fifth Avenue’s visual corridor and a bright new aspect for one of NYC’s most prominent landmarks.
2003 Lucy B. Moses Preservation Award
NYC Department of
Parks & Recreation